Minutes The Earthbuilders’ Guild

Board of Directors’ Meeting – Friday, July 17th, 2020 Meeting convened via Internet/Zoom
Call to order at 8:03 a.m.
Ben Loescher chairing the meeting

Attendance​ – Board members in attendance: Pat Rutherford, Helen Levine, John Jordan, Ben Loescher, Kurt Gardella, and Jane Whitmire. Rob Taylor joined later in the meeting. Not present: Ernest Aragon Member Guest: Kirk Higbee

Business briefs

– Multiple reports given by all attendees

Approval of minutes from 5/20/20 TEG Board meeting in Albuquerque, NM:

– Approved unanimously.

Next TEG Board meetings:

  • –  September 21st, 2020, at 8:00am Mountain Time, via Zoom.
  • –  2020 schedule of meetings are yet to be determined due to ongoing

    pandemic.

    Treasurer’s Report:

  • –  $10,148.88 balance.
  • –  Upcoming expenses consist of the quarterly website maintenance cost.

    Membership Update:

– 46 Members, 5 renewals since last meeting/report, 1 member dropped: Vista Grande High School

Website report/update:

  • –  May 2020 484 visitors
  • –  June 2020 436 visitors Facebook Report​ :

– 1,308 Followers (up from 1,130 on May 19, 2020)

page1image953536 page1image953728 page1image953920 page1image954112page1image954304 page1image954496 page1image954688page1image954880 page1image955072 page1image955264

General Correspondence:

Received an inquiry regarding architectural help.
Received an inquiry from a Mr. Jack Chavez regarding single family home plans and whether TEG members can help.

Committee Reports:

  • –  Helen suggested that the Santa Fe Community College Oversight Committee activities be added to the list of Committee Reports. Voted on and unanimously approved.
  • –  Jane reported that the NM CID may be reviewing the Energy Codes. Pat suggested that we reach out to Melanie @ NM Home Builders Assoc. to see if we can find out the details of this. John volunteered to do this. Will report back at the next meeting.

    SFCC Oversight Committee Report:

  • –  Primary mode of class participation will be online, but there is hope for a blended approach. Enrollment is low at this point.
  • –  Discussed the effort to add CEB course to the curriculum.

    IBC Committee Report:

  • –  No movement to report, most efforts are frozen due to Covid.
  • –  The Adobe Codes have been put into the process for incorporation.

    TEG Code Committee Report:

– The Code Committee is on hiatus. Will discuss in subsequent meetings.

Certification Committee Report:

– Test schedule will be kept as is, nothing else to report.

By-Laws Review Committee Report:

– By-Laws Committee is working towards modifications to the Committee creation, structure, attendance, and oversight verbiage. John will send out the initial version of this before the next meeting.

page2image617920 page2image618112 page2image618304 page2image618496page2image618688 page2image618880 page2image619072

New Business:

– It was brought up and discussed that TEG should perhaps have a more formal and regular approach for deciding on the funding requests from entities outside of TEG, such as the request to fund the Code Development effort.

o It was proposed that this should include parameters on the disbursement of funds, i.e. when to use the funds, results of the funding, etc.

o A motion to create a working group to establish grant request management was put forth, discussed, voted on and was unanimously approved. Jane, Helen, and Ben will start the ground work on this.

Old Business:

  • –  TEG Newsletter
    o Articles are due July 31st.
    o John – Ongoing testing at Sandia Labs.
    o Ben – Will come up with something.
    o Kurt – AIA report; earthen in Germany.
    o Kurt – will reach out to Simone Swan for an article.
  • –  Advertising via Facebook
    o Motion to approve expenditures for advertising, voted on and

    approved unanimously.

  • –  TEG Logo Project

    o Clarified our desires on the various options provided by Jenny and let her know what these are. Waiting on word back from Jenny once she reviews.

  • –  ASTM standard for earthen floors. Ben will check on the progress of this and report back.
  • –  Terra sponsorship. Waiting on feedback from that group regarding options for support and/or sponsorship.
  • –  TEG accomplishments and initiatives 2020 paper. Pat will report on this at the next meeting

    Motion to Adjourn:

– 10:09 am – Moved, seconded, unanimously approved. Respectfully submitted,

John Jordan, TEG Board Member-at-large